Vehicular accidents are common everywhere. Many of these accidents involve a car, truck or any other automobile. While in most of the accidents, the occupants end up with minor damage to their vehicle and can be handled by themselves by contacting the insurance company directly. Some cases which involve severe damage not only to the car but also physical injuries like brain injury or permanent disability to the occupants of the car, hiring a good attorney for such cases to get a just and fair compensation is mandatory.
Find out more about the lawyers by checking their profiles on Nolo.com and various such websites.
If you or your family member was involved in an accident and has serious injuries to the brain or elsewhere, read below a few, do’s and don’ts for hiring a good attorney.
● Find out from the lawyer about previous results of successful and failed cases of Traumatic Brain Injury victims. Always hire someone who was successful in a trial.
● Hire a lawyer who is an expert in the complex area of personal injury law; the attorney should be someone who has not just attended seminars on TBI but is an active participant and a speaker in those conferences and seminars.
● Check the trial experience of the attorney you plan to hire, if the negotiations with the insurance company are not satisfactory, you have the option to go to court for a trial to get the compensation you deserve.
● Hire a lawyer who advises the client not to take the money offered as part of compensation if the sum offered is not fair. Check with the prospective attorney what is the largest amount of money that was provided to the clients and advised against taking the compensation for TBI
● Meet the lawyer who is going to handle your case in person, not any of his subordinates or juniors working under him.
● Choose a lawyer who you are comfortable with on a personal level and who you believe will do complete justice to you and your family
● Do not hire an attorney without meeting at least a few of them. Keep in mind that all TBI lawyers are not equal and each one has his\her own strengths and weakness. Go for one who you think has the most expertise in your area of concern.
● Make sure to hire lawyers who are ready to give you the time that is needed to discuss the case and explain all your legal rights. If the attorney does not spend quality time with you or does not respect your time, do not hire such lawyers.
● Hire a lawyer, who sets realistic expectations for your case. Often lawyers promise you great results and glorify their achievements; it’s best not to hire such lawyers.
● Do not hire a lawyer who has no experience in Traumatic Brain Injury, even if it is your closest friend or relative.
● Never hire an attorney, if you do not clearly understand what he\she says.
A TBI can create a lifelong impact on its victims, make sure to hire someone who is capable of addressing your needs and represents you around the current situation.